Sports fanaticism is something I readily attest to. I’m very passionate when it comes to my hometown, one of those guys who is always wearing a t-shirt or ball cap emblazoned with the logo of his favorite team. Obnoxious, right? Win or lose, I’m rooting for my guys.
So, why is it that some of us are such die-hard fans? Well, according to Daniel Wann, professor of psychology at Murray State University, “Higher identification with a team is associated with significantly lower levels of alienation, loneliness, and higher levels of collective self-esteem and positive emotion.” Damn straight!!
The inspiration for this drink is my good buddy, John. He’s a Kansas City Chiefs super-fan. He loves them so much he recently bought his wife a car in the team’s colors. Now that’s a true fan. So I offer this Chief’s-red drink in honor of John, whom I suspect, like millions of others, will be glued to the Super Bowl. To all you unapologetic fellow sports fanatics, I raise a glass to you!
Blood Orange Margarita
- 2 oz. tequila
- 1 oz. Grand Marnier
- 2 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 oz. fresh squeezed blood orange
- Simple syrup or agave to taste
- Orange round to garnish
- Pour tequila, Grand Marnier, lime juice, blood orange juice and simple syrup/agave into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake vigorously.
- Strain into a glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with an orange round.
- Cheers! (Makes two drinks.)
David Pitlik is a corporate writer by day, a comedy writer from a previous life, and a lover of great food, wonderful drink and sparkling banter with good friends.