When my wife sent me a link to this cocktail, my first thought was – finally, I’ve found the blue food!
I remember growing up and listening to legendary comedian, George Carlin, do an entire routine on the fact that there is no blue food. As he adroitly pointed out, blueberries are actually purple. (The late Mr. Carlin’s observations on nearly everything are worth listening to.)
Ever since then I’ve been searching for blue food. Of course, truth be told, with a little food coloring, almost anything can be blue. Had Dr. Seuss gone with blue eggs and ham, who knows where we’d all be.
I’ve seen blue drinks before and frankly, I always order one just because they look so darned good. That’s the depth of my inspiration for this drink. Nothing profound. Just because it’s blue. And heck, it tastes pretty darn good too. That’s reason enough!
Frosty Blue Refresher
- 5 oz. Blue Curacao
- 2 oz. Moscato sparkling dessert wine
- 1 oz. tequila
- ½ oz. Triple Sec
- Juice of one lime freshly squeezed
- 1 ¾ cups ice cubes
- Lime wedge
- Fresh blueberries
- Sugar (colored if you’ve got it)
- Pour liquor, sparkling wine, and lime juice in a blender.
- Add ice.
- Blend until smooth.
- Wipe rim of glass with lime wedge, then dredge overturned glass on shallow plate filled with sugar to coat rim.
- Skewer a row of fresh blueberries, then use as garnish.
- Skol! (Makes one drink.)
David Pitlik is a corporate writer by day, a comedy writer from a previous life, and a lover of great food, wonderful drink and sparkling banter with good friends.